Deciding which fish you are going to use for your own aquaponics is really a matter of concern. To simplify this problem it is crucial to consideration these facts that whether you are using fish just to make a correlation with the plants to fulfill their needs or you want to harvest them for the fooding purpose.
To help you out of this mess, we are here to recommend you some species of fish for aquaponics that are appropriate and can be utilized for either purpose.
- Goldfish: it is really not recommended for the eating purpose. Goldfish belongs to the carp family. They are amongst one of the most popular aquarium fish. They usually feed on waste litter of plants and dead insects. In their case overfeeding is not at all a problem. The best part is that if they are overfed they will produce waste in larger quantity that is quite beneficial for your aquaponics system. They are not good for eating because of their small size and low protein content.
- Tilapia: they are the best fish for aquaponics for those who are fish eaters. They mostly feed on the plant waste therefore also contribute in cleaning the tank. Apart from this they can be domesticated easy as they are fast growing, can breed easily and cope up even with the adverse climatic phase. They are quite rich in protein and large in size so it makes them best to be used as food.
- Koi: they are not recommended for eating. The qualities that make them suitable for the aquaponics system is that they are having a long-life span and can easily provide resistance from the common parasites. They are available in various colors and patterns. They will provide you the aesthetic pleasure. Their feeding habit is omnivorous type. During winters they need some extra care like they need more oxygen and gassing for their survival.
- Catfish: Yes, they can use for eating purpose as they are rich in protein and full of vitamin D content. They come under the category of fast growers. Catfish lacks scales therefore need to be skinned. Their food conversion ratio is also really good. They can feed on plants litter and waste but a few species of catfish need a specific diet.
- Largemouth Bass: it’s a freshwater olive green fish and can be eaten. The smaller varieties of these fishes are much tastier than the adult ones because of their varied diet.